Pages

Andrew Paul Smith

Andrew Paul Smith
Keeping on keeping on!

Wednesday 19 February 2014

The Music Of A Lifetime - APS 1957

1957 THAT’LL BE THE DAY – Buddy Holly & The Crickets
"Well that'll be the day When you say good-bye Yea that'll be the day When you make me cry You say you're gonna leave You know it's a lie 'cause that'll be the day When I die Well you give me all your lovin' And your turtle dovin' All your hugs and kisses and your money too Well uh you know you love me baby Still you tell me maybe That someday well I'll be blue Well that'll be the day When you say good-bye Yea that'll be the day When you make me cry You say you're gonna leave You know it's a lie 'cause that'll be the day When I die Well that'll be the day When you say good-bye Yea that'll be the day When you make me cry You say you're gonna leave You know it's a lie 'cause that'll be the day When I die Well that'll be the day Ooo ooo That'll be the day Ooo ooo That'll be the day Ooo ooo That'll be the day!" - Buddy Holly It may seem strange to you, I know it seemed strange to me to find out that the tune that was top of the pops on the day that I was born contained the words “That’ll be the day that I die!” Buddy Holly and his Crickets were part of the New Wave of American R&B that was hitting the shores of the UK back then. Buddy Holly was the inspiration for many bands included a little outfit from Liverpool called “Johnny and the Moondogs” (aka The Quarrymen) some say it was in homage to The Crickets that they changed their name to The Silver Beetles and eventually The Beatles all those moons ago! As for me, I was blissfully unaware of the song until much later in my life, at the time I would lay there and gurgle, cry, burp, eat and sleep. I suppose nothing much has changed! LOL So, the week before I showed up allegedly three weeks late of my due date, and the three weeks after my arrival this song was number one in the British Pop Music Chart, and yet probably I was more likely to have heard my Mum singing a song from Gracie Fields back catalogue and let me tell you, my Mum had a wonderful singing voice and often entertained on a purely amateur footing. Late 1957 was the start of space travel, Sputnik I was launched on the 4th October and the day after I was born the Russians sent the first dog into space. Laika was the first space traveller and Sputnik II was her spacecraft, it was to be more than three years before Yuri Gargarin would be the first man sent into space on 12 April 1961. This was the beginning of my life and the beginning of changes that were brought about worldwide as a result of Rock’n’Roll and Space Travel. Tragically Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper died in a plane crash on the 3rd February 1959, by which time he had made almost 350 recordings of some of the most lasting and memorable pop tunes of the late 1950’s. He had personally written 40 songs among them True Love Ways, Peggy Sue, Not Fade Away (covered by the Rolling Stones), Everyday, Words of Love (covered by The Beatles) and of course That’ll Be The Day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPLAxDYgVE In the song American Pie Don McLean told the story of “the day the music died” the tragedy of that cold February morning when my Dad celebrated his 37th birthday and when the talent of Buddy Holly was quietened.

No comments:

Post a Comment